Association Advocacy Priorities are determined by the Board of Directors in consultation with the Builder Industry Liaison Committee. They have identified a group of core issues that currently have the greatest impact on the residential construction industry and will receive the highest level of resources dedicated to them. Additional files that the Association will continue to work on throughout the year are listed under “Additional files of Interest”.
Priority Industry Issues
- Finding a solution to PST on construction services introduced in 2017.
- Helping the City of Saskatoon achieve the best permit service levels in the country.
- Auditing our development levies to enhance transparency and accountability.
- Reviewing of our Zoning Bylaw to make it more effective in an increasingly competitive economic environment.
- Playing an expert role in the Low Emission Community Plan.
Additional Files of Interest
- Meeting the challenge of energy efficiency in the current and new housing stock.
- Ensuring housing and growth are top issues in the Municipal and Provincial Elections.
- Ensuring any Prompt Payment Legislation brought in will serve our professionals well and will be an added value as opposed to additional red tape.
- Providing industry perspective on the Statements of Provincial Interest and Dedicated Lands Regulations Legislative review.
- Finding a solution to the numerous deposits required that protects municipal assets but do not cause a capital crunch for trusted professionals.
- Ensuring requirements for back alley paving do not negatively impact the cost and timelines of infill projects, creating an unfair disadvantage.
- Keeping a watchful eye on property taxes as a critical part of the calculation when we look at the affordability of homes in our region.
- Finding solutions to encroachments into utility easements with all stakeholders at the table.
- Ensuring SaskPower and SaskEnergy Investments continue to fuel growth in our province.
- Educating the public and elected officials about the unfair difference in property taxes between single family homes and condominiums.
- Furthering builder and consumer education about radon gas in homes.